Babies Breath

Babies Breath

Friday, April 10, 2009

A-S-H-L-Y-N What Does That Spell?

Ashlyn learned how to spell her name on Sunday April 5, 2009. I had been working with her for awhile trying to get her to spell her name. I would spell it several times and have her say it with me and then try to get her to do it on her own. Well that didn't work. I know, I was shocked too. I thought it would take a few minutes and she'd have it. Well Kenneth took a different approach on Sunday before and on the way to conference. He kept spelling her name with a rythm over and over and OVER again. She was begging him to stop spelling her name. lol. He told her he couldn't stop until she spelled it on her own. Can you believe that that actually worked? I was amazed. I think more than anything she liked the rythm he put with the letters of her name so it sounded like a song. If you ask her how to spell it, she still breaks it up. lol. Very cute! I was so proud of him for teaching her when I couldn't figure out how to motivate her to do it. Everytime I would try she would say she needed help, even though I KNOW she could have done it on her own after I spelled it 600 times. She just needed Daddy. I also named him driving instructor as well. I think he'll be better at it than I will. My nerves will be so shot by then I won't have a prayer. We dyed Easter eggs on Thursday with my sister-in-law Natalie and her two little kids. I made one that had Ashlyn's name on it. Yesterday she saw it and said, "That spells Ashlyn!" I was so amazed that she could learn how to spell it, and then to recognize it. It seems so simple to us, but to only be 3.5 it's quite remarkable. Or it is to me anyway. She's beginning to show more interest in writing letters, but not by a whole lot. lol. We'll keep working on it. We have this whole summer and school year.

Jade is walking and semi-running. She LOVES to be chased! She gets so excited when she sees Ashlyn or Kenneth or I coming after her on our hands and knees. She has 16 teeth! She is saying, "Mama" "Dada" "Uh-oh" "No" and sometimes "hey." I have been trying SO hard to get her to say "Cup" and "Juice." Unfortunately all of my hard work is mocking me. Ashlyn picked up talking so quickly and NEVER stopped. I truly and honestly believe that Jade could say the words I'm working on with her. Maybe she's just focusing on other motor skills while I'm stuck on language. I'll just go with her flow. I think she knows what she's doing. She's obviously intelligent. I don't compare her to Ashlyn as thinking that she's not as intelligent, but to make sure nothing is wrong. She's done a lot of things after Ashlyn did at certain ages, but she did walk sooner than Ashlyn. Just goes to show ya how different children can be. They are truly born with their own identities and personalities. How I love my little girls. I get teary just thinking about how much they mean to me. Even though Ashlyn does continue to go into the bathroom and put hand soap in her hair to "wash it" and Jade would rather say, "ugh ugh" instead of cup or juice. They eventually will learn from the "wrong" things they're doing now and move on to something else. Like daring one another to eat gross things. And getting into my lingerie drawer. Oh wait, they already do that. lol. Don't worry, the drawer has been moved. Ashlyn thought I had pretty dresses. lol. My mom told me that when I was 5 I walked into the kitchen which was full of 6 missionaries and said "Teedah!" while WEARING some of her lingerie. Poor mom. Sorry about that one. At least you can kinda laugh at it now. =) Well I've had long enough of a break. Back to more cleaning and praying for insurance guidance.

1 comment:

  1. congrats ashlyn! i cant wait for her to spell it for me in may! *Or maybe sooner.... i am thinking i may come down to see you and susan while the guys are fishing... or i may go to the temple. Im undecided.
    and good job wearing your mom's lingerie... that is such a funny story!!

    ReplyDelete