Babies Breath

Babies Breath

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Advice one may receive from an upcoming 4yr old

Kenneth has been steadily training for the triathalon this weekend. He's been swimming and running and riding his bike a ton trying to get ready for the big day. Ashlyn calls it his exercising. In fact tonight she asked me if I exercised like daddy. Of course I was honest and said no, (which I hope to change soon. Kenneth promises to watch the girls a couple times a wk for me to go run). Her next question was, "well can you wrestle like Daddy and Uncle Zachary?" Everyone from the Lexington ward knows "Uncle Zachary" as Zach, our cousin. I guess since he's older than her and he lives with Aunt Lesley and Uncle Brian it makes him Uncle Zach. lol. Anyway Kenneth wrestled from middle school through college (until the program was cut). Again I was honest and said no. She just looked at me like, well what can you do? lol. Anyway back to the title of this post. Earlier this evening Kenneth got home and got dressed to go ride his bike. On his way out the door she said, "Don't fall off Daddy. Be careful. Look out for cars. Don't fall off the bike. Daddy I love you. Have a nice trip!" I heard the conversation from the back of the house and was just grinning ear to ear. She says the cutest sweetest little things! Earlier today Susan came over to help me with the computer, (Thank You Susan!) and to drop off Brooke while she got her hair done. She came back with lunch for the two of us and while we were sitting down eating Ashlyn came and sat beside me. I was just happily eating my very, oh so delicious chicken supreme combo from Bo*Jangles when Ashlyn out of nowhere said, "Mommy, I like your face." I said thank you baby I like your face too. A few minutes pass by and she says, "Mommy, I like your pretty face." So of course I hugged and kissed her and told her I love her pretty little face too. It's little things like that that make all of my frustrations seem worth it. I can't wait to hear Jade say things. She says a few things like, "mama, dada, no, uh-oh, and today said, bye." My favorite thing to hear a child say for the first time is "Love you." I can't wait to hear her say that so that when I say it back she'll know what I mean. I say it to her now and I know she knows that I care about her. I think she and every baby for that matter know that we as their mothers love them. We play with them, feed them, change them, bathe them. We do it all and usually with a smile or goofy look on our face, (trying to make them smile). They can FEEL the love we have for them. I am very blessed and just wanted to share that with everyone.

7 comments:

  1. So, sweet! I think you have a smart little cookie on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet! come on Heather why cant you wrestle like Kenneth?? you should make him give you lessons! Jon actually taught me some things when we were dating and first married....but usually he would just laugh at me and put me in very uncomfortable positions and say, now this is how this move works. and make me try to break his hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Sarah. Kenneth and I used to wrestle all the time. He tried to teach me stuff too. I get pretty good with holds, but it's nothing he's taught me, I just make it up as I go along. lol. Our men and they're wrestling moves. Don't you love the Walter matches they have when they get together? =) They always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids can melt a heart in a fraction of a second. They are so pure! You'll be so happy you recorded this story for later reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your girls are so sweet.
    Jackson REALLY missed Ashlyn today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owen was sitting on my lap while I read this and he kept wanting to turn around and hug me. Little kids are so sweet. I hope Owen says those things to me like Ashlyn says to you! You have a very sweet little girl. (2 sweet girls!)

    ReplyDelete