Babies Breath

Babies Breath

Monday, March 1, 2010

A baby boy

Now that I'm home from the hospital and Dallin is 10 days old it's time to tell the baby story. Originally I was to be induced at 5am on Friday Feb. 19. To my surprise I was told they had a full house and needed a few more hours. They told me to call back at 8am. Thankfully Kenneth and I were able to get some more sleep. So we got up and I took a shower and did my hair and make up before leaving, (I didn't want to scare the poor baby). We got their at 9am and I was given the pitocin at 9:30. At 12:10pm they broke my water. At 1pm I was given newbane and phenergin. Right after I was given the pain meds I immediately began slurring my speech and losing the ability to keep my eyes open. Luckily I've had these meds before and knew what was coming. lol, Kenneth LOVES to tell everyone that I actually snored after falling asleep. I slept from about 1:10 to 3:30. After waking up Kenneth suggested I get checked again. I had gone from 2cm to 4cm during my nap. At 4pm I requested the epidural because the contractions were really getting hard to breathe through. At 4:15ish every laboring woman's favorite man entered the room to give me the epidural. I was really struggling with the contractions by this point even after he was done. Usually you begin to feel a SLIGHT bit of relief. Well I was getting REALLY uncomfortable feeling lots of pressure etc. The nurse checked me and I was at 9cm. She called the nurses station and said call Kenneth in NOW and get the midwife! They luckily entered the room at the same time and as soon as Kenneth was by my side they said okay Heather push, (hence the reason the epidural had no time to work). Eight minutes later there was our little Dallin. He was born at 4:28pm and weighed in at 7lbs 8oz. 21 and 1/2 inches long with beautiful blonde hair and the longest fingers I have ever seen on a baby! He's absolutely perfect. He's a VERY sleepy baby unfortunately for me. It's quite difficult to nurse a sleeping baby. To make a long story short the second day I was home, (I left after 24hrs so that I could share Kenneth with the girls) I noticed something just wasn't right with my breasts. I could feel the milk let down, but it never came out, well except when he ate. So after a day or so of my milk coming in I got mastitis. For those of you who don't know, mastitis is an infection in the breast. You get a high fever and flu like symptoms and it hurts like you know what. I will spare you all of the gory details, but it was the worst experience I've had and one of the most spiritual experiences too. I am so grateful for the restoration of the priesthood.

We had Kenneth for a full 5 days. After not seeing him for two months it was really wonderful getting to finally spend time with him. I never understood how wives of military men made it through, and now I REALLY wonder. 5days was great but of course it wasn't nearly enough. Ashlyn begged for Kenneth to take her with him and she cried so hard as we watched him being driven away. I would have taken him myself with the girls so that we could all say goodbye, but my car is on it's last leg and we didn't know if it could make it their and back. My brother in law took him and it was difficult to say goodbye. My mom cried just as hard as Ashlyn! She said she didn't know if she could let me go in March. That is a day I try not to think about. Oh the headache I will have after the tears from that day!

We are very blessed and so in love with our little baby boy. I can't wait for us to be together in Texas and see what the Lord has in store for us.

3 comments:

  1. wow that is one fast labor experience!! im SO sorry about the infection... I feel so bad for you! hopefully it is getting better now. i tried to call you the other day and check in, so give me a call sometime when you are bored! Im sorry that March will be hard, but at least you've got me here (and im SO much fun!) I cant wait to meet Dallin and spend time with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the mastitis... that really stinks. I'm glad things went smoothly with the labor & delivery. When in March are y'all leaving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Congrats on your beautiful little boy!! It must be so hard for Kenneth to be away that long from his family. Will you tell him that he needs to call Chris? He changed his number and Chris doesn't have it. Chris's is (801) 641-6924. Congratulations again. Dallin is very handsome!! Kenneth will make a great daddy for a little boy :-)

    ReplyDelete